TIPS & TRICKS
1. Spruce – up. A well-manicured lawn/courtyard, neatly trimmed shrubs and a clutter free front yard welcomes prospects. So does a freshly painted, or at least freshly scrubbed front door. Rake up the leaves. Clean out the gutters and drains. Clean all the windows and brush away any cobwebs. The fewer obstacles between prospects and the true appeal of your home, the better.
2. Invest a few hours for future dividends. Clean up in the living room, the bathroom and the kitchen. If your woodwork is scuffed or the paint is fading, consider some minor redecoration. Prospects would rather see how great your home really looks rather than hear how great it could look, â€świth a bit of work.â€ť
3. Check taps and light bulbs. Dripping water rattles the nerves, it dis-colours sinks and suggests faulty or worn out plumbing. Replace used light globes: do not leave buyers in the dark. Donâ€™t let little problems detract from whatâ€™s right with your home.
4. Donâ€™t shut out a sale. If doors or drawers stick in your home, you can be sure they will also stick in a prospects mind. Donâ€™t try to explain away sticky situations when you can easily plane them away. A little effort on your part can smooth the way towards a sale.
5. Think safety. Homeowners learn to live with self-set booby traps. Take care of the skateboard, tangled extension cords, slippery rugs and low hanging light fittings. Make your home as non-perilous for uninitiated visitors.
6. Create a feeling of space. Remember, potential buyers are looking for more than just a comfortable living space they are looking for storage space too. Make sure your hall; kitchen and laundry cupboards are free from unnecessary items. Donâ€™t forget the garbage.
7. Consider your wardrobes. The better organized the wardrobe the larger it appears. Now is the time to box up those unwanted clothes and donate them to charity.
8. Make your bathrooms sparkle. Bathrooms sell homes so let them shine. Check and repair damaged or unsightly caulking in the tubs and showers. Get rid of any mould. For added allure, display your best towels, mats and shower curtains.
9. Open up in the daytime. Let the sun shine in! Pull back your curtains and drapes to maximise the natural light. This is an important selling point.
10. Light up at night. Turn on the excitement by turning on all your lights both inside and out. When showing your home in the evening or late afternoon light adds colour and warmth and makes people feel welcome.
11. Mind your pets. The front door will be open, please secure your pet or take him/her with you.
12. Relax. This list may seem intimidating, but it will help you achieve the best possible price.
13. Stylist. Depending on your property it may well be worth having a stylist come through and give their opinion, their opinion is free. I have seen properties transformed beyond the ownerâ€™s belief; to the extent they reconsidered selling.
14. Help your agent. We will have an easier time selling your home with the right keys and alarm codes. Give plenty of information to the agent. People are interested to hear the details and history of a property they are considering.
TIPS & TRICKS